A company built on service
Service has and always will be at the heart of what we do at Plastic Card Services. We believe that every card that leaves our premises is an ambassador for our customers, and as such we strive to always provide first-class products that inspire them to enhance their own card schemes.
Plastic Card Services® was established in 1993 after Rob Nicholls and Tim Holt were made redundant from the DataCard Corporation as a result of the recession in the early 90s. They saw an opportunity in the commercial card market and with them having over 20 years combined expertise in the field, felt it was a good time to launch their own company.
Plastic Card Services® opened for business in February 1993, at home in Wilmslow, Cheshire; where Rob and Tim were the only employees. After investing in card personalisation and mailing equipment, an internal card bureau was implemented in 1995.
Now solely owned by Tim and operating from its purpose-built 30,000 sq ft manufacturing plant which has the capacity to produce and process 160 million cards per year, Plastic Card Services® has approximately 40 employees.
The company’s turnover for 2020 was £5.4 million, and as part of the businesses continuing growth plan this is expected to increase to £10 million by 2025. This will be boosted through the addition of a dedicated digital print facility that links to the web-to-print eCommerce site the Plastic Card Hub.
A message from the MD
We are proud to have our own state-of-the-art lithographic and digital production facilities which makes Plastic Card Services one of the UK’s leading manufacturers of fully recyclable and eco-degradable plastic cards and associated services such as card personalisation, direct mailing and fulfilment as well as offering data management and artwork services.
UK manufacturing at its best
Our purpose-built UK-based digital and lithographic production facilities enable us to manufacture and process 160 million cards per year for some of the world’s most famous brands.
Modern technology & equipment
- KBA Genius 52 UV 5 colour waterless offset litho press with UV drying.
- Screen CTP.
- Koennigs Processor.
- Svecia screen press with air tunnel and IR drying, UV drying and autopile.
- Oasys auto collation system.
- Oasys twin stack lamination system.
- Oasys automatic card punch.
- Oasys automatic progression punch (combined card and key-fob).
- HP Indigo 5900 7 colour digital printing press.
- Coltec fully automatic sheet-fed collator.
- Buerkle Smartlam CHK 100/200 S laminator.
- MicroPOISE MK2 foiling machine.
Card personalisation bureau
- Atlantic Zeiser DoD (with 720dpi and 360dpi black print heads and 720dpi white print head and plasma unit).
- Smart 70 thermal printer with double sided dual print.
- Smart 70 thermal printer with double sided flip unit and encoder x 6.NBS S18 thermal card printer and encoder x 3.
- Zebra ZXP Series 7 dual sided thermal printer and encoder x 4.
- Magicard Rio Pro extended thermal printer and encoder x 2.
- Datacard MX2000 twin drum embosser.
- Datacard 7000 twin drum embosser.
- CIM E1000 card embosser.
- Oce varioprint 2110.
- Canon ImagePRESS 1135.
- GUK folder.
- MBO folder (perf/score/cross fold etc).
- Polar 78e Guillotine.
- Kirk Rudy pick and place unit with hot glue, Lake camera matching system, plow fold.
- Kirk Rudy, stream feed with hot glue, Kirk Rudy camera matching system.
- Kirk Rudy, stream feed with hot glue and inline HP inkjet printing system, Kirk Rudy camera matching system.
- Bell + Howell C5 inserter with 5 additional stations x 2.
- Kalmar C5 inserter with 4 additional stations.
- Rinas TTD Thermal Printer with CS-SRM-LWR universal encoder and scan function unit.